Professor Samuel A. ONASANYA was born in Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, in 1961. He attended St. Philips Anglican Primary School, Ijebu Igbo from 1967 to 1973 and St. Vincent Catholic Commercial Secondary School, Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, from1974 to 1978. His teacher education training spanned through Methodist Teachers College in 1979, Federal College of Education, Abeokuta in 1984 and University of Ilorin in 1988.
Prof. Onasanya studied Fine & Applied Education at FCE Abeokuta and graduated in 1987 with distinctions. Based on his excellent performance, creativity and innovativeness in Fine & Applied Arts, he was honored with the following awards:
- Overall Best student in Applied Arts, Federal College of Education, Abeokuta – 1987.
- College Best student in Service and Industry, Federal College of Education, Abeokuta – 1987.
- Best student in Painting, Federal College of Education, Abeokuta, Ogun State – 1987.
- Best student in Graphic Design, Federal College of Education Abeokuta, Ogun State – 1987.
Other Professional Awards include:
- Ogun State MAMSER Award Winner in Logo Design, Abeokuta – 1988.
- Ogun State MAMSER Award Winner in Poster Design, Abeokuta– 1988.
- Ogun State Council for Arts and Culture Award as Best Logo Designer, Abeokuta – 1988.
- MAMSER National Award Winner in Culinary Poster Design Abuja, Nigeria – 1988.
Prof. S. A. Onasanya was admitted into the University of Ilorin in 1988 to study educational technology. He graduated in 1991 as the overall best student in Educational Technology. As a result of this, he was offered automatic employment as a Graphic Artist in the Educational Technology Centre, University of Ilorin in 1992, immediately after his NYSC. He got converted from a non-teaching position as Graphic Artist to Assistant Lecturer in 1998 and rose through the ladder to become a Professor of Educational Technology in 2014. Prof. Onasanya’s educational background is listed below:
- Teachers Grade II Certificate at M.T.T.C. Sagamu, Ogun State, 1982
- Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) at F.C.E., Abeokuta , 1987
- B.Ed. Educational Technology at University of Ilorin, 1991
- M.Ed. Educational Technology at University of Ilorin, 1997
- P.G.D.Sc. Computer Science at University of Ilorin, 1998
- Ph.D. Educational Technology at University of Ilorin, 2002
Professor S. A. Onasanya has organized and participated in myriads of academic and professional conferences, mentoring and leadership trainings. As a scholar in the university, he has supervised several academic Dissertations and Theses at postgraduate levels. He is a well-known outstanding researcher at national and international level. He is a Journal Editor and he has authored and co-authored several academics books, articles and publications nationally and internationally. He also headed several academic positions based on his leadership ability and had risen to the peak of his academic career as a professor. He is a registered member of Nigeria Association of Educational Media and Technology (NAEMT) and a member of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN). Presently, he is the Head of Department of Educational Technology, University of Ilorin. Prof. Onasanya is happily married to Dr. (Mrs.) Temitayo Onasanya and blessed with children.